The State Museum is located in the historic center of Brunswick in the Vieweghaus, the former residential and publishing house of the publisher Friedrich Vieweg from Berlin. It was built around 1800 to the design of David and Friedrich Gilly and Heinrich Gentz and has a great architectural and historical value nowadays.
Light-flooded museum foyer
The new roofing of the central courtyard with a filigree, convexly curved steel and glass construction creates a spacious museum foyer flooded with light. As a memorable place for events of high public relevance and at the same time as the central foyer of the State Museum with its important collection, the new open “Campe Forum” is being created. Like a flying Elizabethan theater, the circular furniture elements freely placed in the octagon of the inner courtyard accommodate a variety of uses and at the same time provide a backdrop for the new stage of dialogue and culture.